Join neighbors on Saturday, May 15th for a community planting at Pierce Butler Meadow!
Pierce Butler Meadow is a neighborhood stewarded natural area in the cloverleaf intersection of Snelling Ave & Pierce Butler Route. Over late winter through early spring 2021 nearly 300 seed starting kits have been distributed to neighbors to start native pollinator plants using seeds harvested the previous fall by community members. The kits are starting to germinate and now that the meadow had a prescribed burn on April 28th (see before and after photos below), the bare areas are ready for our plants and seeds!
Drop in anytime during 1-4pm on 5/15/2021. Some guidelines:
- If you drive, please park on Taylor Ave and walk over, taking special care crossing the Snelling on-ramp.
- The site has steep hills and uneven terrain, we suggest wearing sturdy shoes.
- Bring any kits you may have made, even if they did not sprout. We will spend the afternoon transplantingplants and distributing seeds.
- Tools and other supplies will be provided.
- Wear your facemask please.
Rain Date will be on Sunday May 16th during the same time period.
Also, Keep the Midway Clean will be joining us from 12-2 to pick up litter, volunteers to support this are welcome too.
If you can’t attend the planting and want your kit to be picked up so the seeds and plants can be installed at the meadow, contact Steph via this page: https://www.stephaniehankerson.com/contact
Want to know more about the site and how neighbors initiated improvements to this north gateway to Midway? See this page: https://www.hamlinemidway.org/news_events/316/hmc-recognized-pierce-butler-meadows-project
Want to hear more about the winter sowing seed starting method and the kit distribution sponsored by a HMC minigrant? See this page: https://www.hamlinemidway.org/https%3A//www.hamlinemidway.org/news_events/winter-sowing-kits
Before Burn/After Burn