The Environment Committee works on a broad-range of city-wide and community-related initiatives with an eye towards long-term sustainability of the neighborhood. In addition to making recommendations to the City on municipal policies like trash collection and recycling, the Environment Committee will also focus on high-level neighborhood sustainability initiatives like community solar, watershed stewardship, reducing our collective waste and many other areas of environmental interest the committee chooses to pursue.
The Environment Committee meets on the 4th Monday of each month at 6:30 pm. If you’re interested in joining the Environment Committee or would like to learn more, contact Executive Director Kate Mudge at kate[at]hamlinemidway[dot]org.
Links to latest HMC Environment Committee Topics & Issues:
Garbage questions: garbage[at]ci.stpaul.garmn[dot]us
Recycling Information: Eureka Recycling
Electronic Recycling: Tech Dump
Where to bring big items? City-wide Drop off events
Where to discard old medication? Pharmaceuticals
Meeting Highlights from 1/28/19
- City Nature Challenge – Britt Forsberg with the U of M Extension presented on this worldwide effort to document biodiversity which the Twin Cities area has been participating in. HMEC could support by sponsoring an event and/or raising awareness about the April 26-29 event.
- Community Engagement Sheet & Website—For February Committee members are asked to come with activities/strategies/tasks for our group for the upcoming year. Also, please send Kate anything to post on our website.
- Capitol Region Watershed District Grant—We have been partially funded for the grant for which we applied. We are funded for a) Adopt-a-Drain Tools and b) Adopt-a-Drain Ambassador Hosting Events.
- Sustainable To-Go Packaging—Vote is February 20 th . Zero Waste St. Paul has met with every District Council and Council Member (except the new CM in Ward 6).
- Adopt-a-Drain—We are currently in third place in terms of new members so we need to step up our game!
Sarah Wolbert, Chair